Social housing framework and Making social housing work
Making social housing work: better homes for low income Victorians
CHP has joined with six other peak bodies to develop a plan to improve the social housing system in Victoria. The report Making Social Housing Work recommends the development of a whole of government Affordable Housing Strategy to expand the supply, security and quality of low cost social and private housing. Specifically it recommends:
- An investment of $200 million per year for 20 years in new social housing
- Transfer of stock from public housing to community housing to introduce new revenue while maintaining existing stock and current tenants
- Changes to private tenancy laws to make private rental more secure
- Making the National Affordable Housing Agreement work better by including other Commonwealth housing programs in it
- Making the National Rental Affordability Scheme a permanent program as it contributes to the supply of new affordable housing stock
- Reforms to Commonwealth taxes so that the $45 billion in indirect tax assistance each year to investors and home owners contributes to the supply of new dwellings.
Victorian social housing framework
On 28 March 2014 the Hon Wendy Lovell MP, Minister for Housing, released the state government’s socil housing plan New directions for social housing: a framework for a strong and sustainable future
This framework follows public consutlation and Two discussion papers were released for comment.
- CHP’s Victorian Housing Framework submission
This CHP response was informed through consultation with other peak organisations, people who have experienced homelessness and practitioners.
- Joint housing framework statement
CHP and six other Victorian housing, homelessness and family violence peak organisations have joined together around five key housing priorities. Over 200 organisations and individuals endorsed the joint statement, which was sent to the Minister for Housing, August 2012. For additional information see the housing statement website.
The Iceman Cometh
Advanced SHIP training (1 day)
Subscribe to eNewsletter